Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Guyton, GA

Asked on 02/21/2012

Renting? can you rent a home whilst having normal home insurance in place, and when the tenants leave you lets say you move back in and 6 months later a pipe bursts... are you allowed to claim?

Answer given on March 01, 2012

While each insurance company has its own rules regarding renting out a home while the policy is written as a homeowner policy, the fact that you were living in the home at the time of the pipe burst, you may file a claim.Before filing the claim, please be aware that you may lose any claim free discount that you enjoy. In addition, the cost of the pipe repair is not covered under a homeowner policy. It will only pay for the damages done to the home, such as water damage in the area of the burst pipe, and for repairing the wall or area where the pipe is. However, the cost of the pipe is not covered. Of course, your deductible will apply to any covered loss.Talk to your insurance agent about the loss, to determine if you do have a claim free discount and what it saves you. Be sure that the loss of this discount will not be greater than the amount you will receive for the claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption