Renters versus homeowners insurance for injury

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Apache Junction, AZ

Asked on 07/17/2012

Renters versus homeowners insurance for injury My son rents a mobile home and recently was injured when the steps of the home gave way. The landlords agent was aware the steps would need to be replaced. She is saying that they have to have renters insurance to cover injuries and that the homeowners insurance won't cover it. Should homeowners insurance cover it since it was a known problem? Should it cover it anyway since it is in an injury? As far as I know the home is owned outright and not mortgaged.

Answer given on July 20, 2012

A homeowner policy includes liability coverage if someone is injured on the property owners property. If the property owner is negligent, then the policy will pay for the injuries to the other party.If your son was renting the home, the insurance really should not have been under a homeowner policy, but as a rental property policy. However, the negligence issue and the coverage would still be there for your son’s injuries.Renters insurance is for a person who rents a property or apartment. If your son is living in the home, he should have renters insurance to cover his personal property. However, if he is renting a room, then the homeowner policy is the correct coverage. Liability coverage is still provided for someone who is injured.Have your son ask the property owners to contact their insurance company and to file a claim under the liability coverage of the policy for his injuries. If they refuse, he may have to sue them to make them file the claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption