Question on water damage claim

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Anchorage, AK

Asked on 10/02/2018

Question on water damage claim There is water damage in my home due to burst pipe. The cause of burst is wear and tear which is an excluded peril of my property insurance. I would like to know whether the water damage to the wooden floor of my home is cover under my property insurance or not.

Answer given on October 02, 2018

In the homeowner insurance policy, damage to a pipe is not covered for most losses.  However, the damage done by the water is a covered peril. The deductible under the policy will apply to that damage.  In most policies, the insurance company will also pay to repair the wall or flooring to get to the pipe that caused the damage, it just will not cover to repair the pipe itself. The home can not have been vacant or unoccupied for over 30 days, if the cause of the damage  was due to a frozen pipe.

Be sure to file a timely claim for this type of loss, as mold and mildew can develop quickly, and the insurance company may not be willing to pay for this additional damage if you wait to file a claim. If you have to make some emergency repairs to avoid further damage, be sure to document and to take photos of anything that you do before the adjuster can come out to your property. It will help the adjuster understand the damages done by the broken pipe.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption