putting insurance on a car for a family

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Ocala, FL

Asked on 01/28/2015

putting insurance on a car for a family I purchased a car for my g-daughter we live in the same state but not the same town, the bank requires I put insurance on it before she takes it out of the lot the loan is in my name I will be doing the payments on it can she have the car insured under her name only

Answer given on March 30, 2015

In auto insurance, insurance follows the car, and the car needs to be insured in the name of the registered owner. The registered owner is the person legally responsible for any damages or injuries caused in the event of an auto accident.You can list your granddaughter on the car as a driver. Her driving experience and driving record will determine the premium amount. The insurance company should not have a problem with this. You, as owner of If your granddaughter causes an accident, your insurance will pay for the damages and injuries. She can pay the premium for the insurance on the car if you wish. The insurance company will be willing to bill her for the premium due.It would be better to have the car registered in your granddaughter’s name and let it be her liability in the event of an accident. See if the bank will agree to her being listed as an owner on title and insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption