Property damage claim- lost/ damaged property from vehicle

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 5, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Houston, TX

Asked on 05/05/2018

Property damage claim- lost/ damaged property from vehicle I hit/ swerved debris on freeway which caused my truck to lose some of its load. Property damage is approx $5-7000. I lost wardrobe boxes full of personal possessions- the vehicle is not heavily damaged. I called police to report my lost load. They arrived 2 hours later at which point the majority of my possessions had been destroyed by other traffic. Initially there was little damage to my items. Can I make a property claim from insurers for this loss? Thanks

Answer given on July 31, 2018

If your personal property was thrown from your vehicle and then struck by traffic, your personal property should still be covered if you have homeowner or renters insurance. This damage would not be covered by your automobile insurance.  It will only cover the damage to your truck.

Your homeowner or renters policy covers for this damage, less your deductible.  If you do not have this type of insurance, you will not have any recourse to replace your personal property. Contact your property insurer and proceed with the claim. It is a shame the police didn’t respond sooner since other drivers could have experienced damage to their cars caused by your personal property being in the roadway.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption