Person is claiming huge accident when it was really just bumper to bumper. What do I do

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Austin, TX

Asked on 12/05/2011

Person is claiming huge accident when it was really just bumper to bumper. What do I do I had a bumper to bumber the other day and the other car owner got my insurance information now he is filling the report saying that we had a huge car accident.

Answer given on December 05, 2011

Contact your insurance company if they have not yet contacted you. If you have a digital camera, email them pictures of your car’s damage or invite them to come take a look.  Advise the that this was just a small fender bender. If you have any witnessess, supply their names and contact information. They probably will ask you to obtain estimates on your car in order to repair the damage (if you have full coverage). Insurance adjusters are savvy enough to look at the type of damage, the cost and the location of damage on the car to determine severity of the accident.  If the person is now claiming injury, there is not much you can do other than tell the adjuster that they may have commented at the accident scene that they had no injury.  The adjuster will get a copy of their medical reports and bills.  Insurance adjuster are professionals and will access the claim accordingly. There is not much you else you can do.       

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption