Our current insurer will no longer cover our 1st home because it is unoccupied. Can we get any insurance at all?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Sheridan, OR

Asked on 03/13/2012

Our current insurer will no longer cover our 1st home because it is unoccupied. Can we get any insurance at all? We own this house free and clear and are planning to sell it. It needs some work and the economy being what it is and other factors have slowed our progress and so the house sits empty. Is there anything we can do to protect our investment?

Answer given on March 22, 2012

It is difficult to get insurance on a vacant home, because it is more likely to be a target of vandalism, or arson. The fact that you indicate it needs some work does not make it any more attractive to an insurance company.Talk to your agent to see if they have access to a specialty insurance company. Some of these companies will write a limited policy, possibly with a high deductible, on a vacant home. Often times they will exclude vandalism coverage, so be sure you understand what they cover and that it is acceptable to you.You could consider renting the home out and do some work on the home while it is rented. A low rent might get you a tenant who will even help make repairs in exchange for the lower rent. Then you should not have any problem getting insurance, since the home will be occupied and you will get some help in repairing it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption