on our homeowners insurance policy, it lists under Liability Coverages – Section 11: Dangerous Dog and Exotic Animal Liability $25,000.00. ????

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Waterloo, IA

Asked on 07/29/2015

on our homeowners insurance policy, it lists under Liability Coverages – Section 11: Dangerous Dog and Exotic Animal Liability $25,000.00. ???? Are we paying for this? We do not have or ever had a dog or exotic pet. Our insurance agent says it is a law to have this on our policy, but we are not paying for it. Also, Fungi or Bacteria coverage of $5000.00. Loss of use, $5000.00. Can you explain what these are?

Answer given on August 22, 2015

The section of the homeowner policy referring to animals is a special limit in the homeowner policy. If your liability limits are higher than $25,000 then that limit will apply to other liability losses, but if an animal causes injury then the most the insurance company will pay is the $25,000. This is a sublimit and does not affect the cost of your insurance. The Fungi or bacteria limit of $5,000 is also a sub limit under the policy. If you have a claim for either of these then the most you can collect is the $5,000 regardless of the amount of damage.Loss of Use limit is what you can collect if you must live elsewhere due to a covered loss to your home, such as a fire. This is for additional costs you incur while you must live elsewhere.Your insurance agent should have been able to explain all of these items to you. If you do not feel they are responsive enough you should look for a new agent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption