Non renewal of homeowners ins.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Scotch Plains, NJ

Asked on 10/31/2011

Non renewal of homeowners ins. three legitimate losses in past three years and Travelers sent letter of non renewal when policy is expired. Roof leak has been stopped. How can I get my home insured?

Answer given on November 01, 2011

Insurance companies monitor losses carefully and three losses in as many years will draw a non-renewal from most insurance companies, unless they are considered a catastrophic loss (such as a tornado, hurricane or similar losses).It appears your losses were related to your roof leaking which is a maintenance issue. If you have replaced your roof, you can ask your agent to contact the insurance company and see if they would be willing to reconsider the non-renewal since the roof was replaced. They may ask for a much higher deductible but might reconsider. If you have simply repaired the roof, this offer may be denied.If you are not able to get the insurance company to reconsider you will have to try to find another insurance. Your agent may have access to a specialty insurance company who will write a limited policy with a high deductible. The premium will also be much higher than you are currently paying,but if you remain loss free for three years, you should be able to get back into a standard homeowner policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption