My wife is pregnant with a child that is not mine. Can I cover this child under my company-sponsored health plan?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Fitchburg, WI

Asked on 06/19/2010

My wife is pregnant with a child that is not mine. Can I cover this child under my company-sponsored health plan? The biological father will go on the birth certificate but doesn't plan at this time to have anything to do with the child.

Answer given on June 21, 2010

You would have to check your policy to be certain, but most group plans go by Section 152 of the IRS Tax Code, which refers to a dependent child as natural, adopted, step children, etc. provided they live with the insured parent.  Since your wife is on your plan, there shouldn’t be any problems in doing so, as the wife and child both live with you and are dependents. 

Depending on what it will cost you to add the child, you might also consider getting an individual policy for the child.  That way, they will always have coverage, whether or not you have your group plan. 

The new health laws have made some changes to specific classes of child/dependents, which vary from state to state.  I  believe that in Wisconsin, the current statute allows for unmarried dependent children to be covered up to age 27. 

Found here:

The specific code is 632.885. 


Good luck!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption