My truck has been sitting in the shop for a month waiting.Now my insurer wants me to release it to them before giving a settlement offer.What to do?
Free Insurance Quote Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.
We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.
Insurance Question from Coal Creek, WA
Asked on 02/13/2012
My truck has been sitting in the shop for a month waiting.Now my insurer wants me to release it to them before giving a settlement offer.What to do? They say that since I won't release it to them that shop storage will come out of my settlement. During this whole process I have called my adjuster literally once a day she has called me back four times. Now I'm not even dealing with her.They won't give a value yet. At one point it was to be fixed for $8,013.27 and they would fix it up to 70% of the value of the truck but as the damage increased to around $13,500 they decided to total it. Do i gain anything by not releasing my truck to them? Do I lose any leverage if I move it to my house?
Answer given on February 19, 2012
If your car has been determined to be a total loss, the insurance company should offer a settlement figure to you before expecting you to release it to them. However, if they simply want to get your permission to move the car, and are not asking for you to sign over the title yet, you should give that permission right away. Storage charges by body shops can be very expensive, and if you are not cooperating with the insurance company, they will not continue to pay any additional storage charges.If the insurance company is asking for you to sign the title over to them without a settlement offer, you need to speak to a supervisor to try to get this resolved. There is no way you should sign over the car when they won’t provide you with the amount they are offering. You should also see if your agent can help get this resolved.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.