My son was rear ended but is not on my insurance and a registered driver, am I covered?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Apr 20, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Waipahu, HI

Asked on 04/20/2015

My son was rear ended but is not on my insurance and a registered driver, am I covered? My son rear ended a car in front of him but the driver has agreed to not file a claim if we pay for his new bumper. But my son was also rear ended by another car and they have filed a claim already. My son was not listed as a registered driver on my insurance because he only got his license recently. If I don't file a claim with my insurance carrier and don't tell them anything, will this all just go away or will my carrier know because the driver that rear ended my son filed a claim?

Answer given on April 27, 2015

If your son caused an accident with a car that was occupied, you should always report the claim to your insurance company. This is recommended since the other driver can always come back and claim injury. If you try to settle now, and they decide they were injured you could not get your insurance company to step in to handle the injuries.Even if your son was not on your policy, your insurance company may still accept liability. You can simply advise that your son was recently licensed and you had not gotten around to adding him. You will then have to add him to your policy and the accident will affect the premium they will charge for him being added, as well as his age and driving experience.Contact your insurance agent or company to discuss the claim and see if they will handle the claim. It should be ok and is a much better way to handle this accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption