My son T-boned another vehicle. He said the other vehicle ran the red light. We have a wittness. How do we get out of the ticket?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Deridder, LA

Asked on 12/28/2011

My son T-boned another vehicle. He said the other vehicle ran the red light. We have a wittness. How do we get out of the ticket? The vehicle my son was driving has no insurance and the other vehicle has liability. The witness was an on duty police officer. There was no bodily injury to anyone. Just the vehicles. What can we do to get out of the ticket and have the vehicle he was driving repaired at the other persons costs.

Answer given on December 29, 2011

Contact the other person’s insurance company, if they have not already contacted you.  Advise them that there was a witness to the accident.  Give them that person contact information and ask them tot ake a recorded statement from the witness. Also contact the officer at the scene that gave your son the ticket.  Advise him of the switness and his/her contact info and that you would like the police report amended.  This probably will not happen but it is worth a try.  I would not pay the ticket, instead, I would appear in court (with a traffic attorney if possible) and have your witness subpoenaed to testify on your behalf.  If the judge rules in your favor, contact the insurance company again and let the know of the courts decision.  If they insurance company still does not move to pay for your son’s car, you can always file in small claims court for the damage (if within the small claims limit for your county) presenting all your evidence.

If you need an attorney in your area that can represent you in this regard, click here.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption