My son is an insured under my Minnesota auto policy. He got hit on his bike. the driver fled the scene.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Hopkins, MN

Asked on 10/31/2012

My son is an insured under my Minnesota auto policy. He got hit on his bike. the driver fled the scene. Trying to figure out if my basic PIP or UM/UIM coverages will apply. Health deductible will be $3000, his bike is gone, and he had some clothes that are trashed. He is a full time student. Can I get reimbursed on any of these expenses?

Answer given on November 01, 2012

Auto insurance policies that include uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, covers a person who is in the car or a pedestrian. It does not include injuries caused while a person is on a bicycle. PIP coverage is not used in all states, and the coverage varies by each state. Contact your agent or insurance company to see if PIP will cover the injuries caused by the accident. Be sure te explain that your son was on a bicycle, and not a pedestrian.Unfortunately, the damage to the bike and clothing will not be covered by the auto insurance. If your son lives with you, you can check to see if the homeowner policy will cover the damage to the bike and his clothing. However, your homeowner deductible will apply. If your son is not considered a member of your household, then nothing will be covered by your homeowner policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption