My roofer, through negligence, ruined my homes interior. they apparently cover cash value insurance not replacement value-where does that leave me?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Concord, TN

Asked on 11/04/2011

My roofer, through negligence, ruined my homes interior. they apparently cover cash value insurance not replacement value-where does that leave me? NULL

Answer given on November 07, 2011

Some insurance policies only cover for the actual cash value of damaged property, rather than the replacement cost, as most homeowner policies cover. You could contact your homeowner insurance agent or broker to see if your homeowner policy will provide coverge for your belongings that were damaged, presuming the cause of loss was a covered peril, such as water damage. If there is coverage, you should file the claim. The adjuster may go after the roofer and his insurance company after they settle with you. It is possible there is no coverage, since most homeowner policies do not cover for damages caused by faulty construction, but that usually applies to the home and not contents.If your insurance company does not cover the damage, your only recourse seems to be to file a claim with small claims court for the difference in the amount paid by the insurance company and your actual loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption