My parked car was in a hit and run accident. I only have liability. I know connecticut requires uninsured motorist insurance. Am i covered?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Wilton, CT

Asked on 07/16/2014

My parked car was in a hit and run accident. I only have liability. I know connecticut requires uninsured motorist insurance. Am i covered? NULL

Answer given on July 17, 2014

Unfortunately, you are not covered for damage to your car, even under the uninsured and underinsured driver coverage. This type of coverage is only for bodily injury caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver. Some states and insurance companies offer uninsured motorist property damage insurance, but that type of coverage does not include hit and run damages. It is only a coverage if the other driver is identifiable.You may want to check the area where your car was struck to see if there were any witnesses, or any cameras which may have caught the accident on tape. You should also file a report with the police as they may have some information regarding the accident. They may be able to find the damaged car that caused the accident, depending upon the size of the town and their ability to contact repair garages for such damage. Otherwise, you do not have any recourse in getting your car repaired except out of your own pocket.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption