My License Was Recently Suspended Because Of My Age and I Am Trying To Get It Back. Now The Insurance Company Has Cancelled Me. I Think They Should Work On My Behalf with The DMV. They Say No. Why?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Hopefully you can work with the DMV to get your license back. However, the insurance companies simply provide insurance for drivers who are properly licensed. When the insurance company learns that a license has been suspended it is their standard procedure to cancel the policy, since there is not a valid driver in the household. They cannot offer assistance to you with the DMV. They are an insurance company, and not your advocate. They will appoint an attorney for you if you get sued, but that is a different situation. Insurance companies only have to defend you if they would have to pay money as a result of the case. Your case with the DMV is about revocation or suspension of your license. You don’t have insurance for that. But you do have an option. You can find someone, a relative perhaps, who would agree to drive you around. You can then add them to your policy as a licensed driver and the company will most likely reinstate your insurance. You can also hire someone to drive you. Either way, make sure the person you choose has an acceptable driving record or the insurance company may refuse to reinstate the insurance.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption