My insurance company wont cover any kind of part time business activity on my property, how can I protect myself and still operate from home?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Dry Fork, KY

Asked on 09/05/2012

My insurance company wont cover any kind of part time business activity on my property, how can I protect myself and still operate from home? NULL

Answer given on September 26, 2012

Many insurance companies will not include coverage for a business in the home due to the additional exposure due to possible liability issues if your clients come to your home for business purposes.However, there are separate in the home businesses available from numerous insurance companies. The costs are generlly affordable, around $250 to $500 a year for the insurance coverage. Also, there are some insurance companies that will simply add an endorsement to the homeowner policy for your business in the home. There are usually restrictions as to the size of the business, based on the gross income of the business and the type of business involved. If you can get that endorsement, it will not include any professional liability. Be sure you understand the coverage before proceeding with it.Since your current company is unwilling to cover your business, you should see if you can find a separate policy with another insurance company for the business in the home. If they won’t offer that without the homeowner insurance, then you may need to move your homeowner coverage to another insurance company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption