My husband passed away and I had full coverage on his 2001 Nissan Frontier, the day after he passed away I changed the coverage to Liability only. Since no one will be driving it, can I "suspend" the coverage until I sell it?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 17, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Winder, GA

Asked on 05/17/2017

My husband passed away and I had full coverage on his 2001 Nissan Frontier, the day after he passed away I changed the coverage to Liability only. Since no one will be driving it, can I "suspend" the coverage until I sell it? Can I suspend the car insurance on my husbands vehicle since he has passed away. No one will be driving the vehicle. I dropped it from full coverage to liability only with $500 deductible, but my rates only dropped $30 a month. Since my income has now be cut in half (or more) I'm on a very tight budget. What are my options. I'm currently with American Family, don't really like them, but I have other things to worry about now. Thank you for your help.

Answer given on May 25, 2017

If you are no longer going to drive your husband’s car, you can suspend the coverage on the vehicle, provided that your insurance company will do this.  It seems there may be something wrong if your insurance is now liability only and has a deductible.  Most auto insurance policies do not have a deductible under the liability portion of the insurance.  You should review the insurance again with your agent or the insurance company to be sure they changed the insurance as you requested.

There is a disadvantage to suspending the insurance on the car. If you try to sell it and the buyer wants to test drive the car you will need to reinstate the insurance on the car before you can let anyone drive it.  Your insurance company may not reinstate the coverage immediately.  You should also consider keeping comprehensive insurance on the car in case something happens to the car such as being stolen or vandalized. The cost for comprehensive is usually not very expensive, but may be worth it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption