My husband and I are legally separated and he says he will now drop me from his group/ individual health plan. Can he do that? Do I get to continue coverage by myself?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Consult a Divorce attorney. In general, you cannot be dropped from an employer-sponsored plan due to legal separation unless you personally sign the request. You are entitled to continue group coverage under federal COBRA (or State continuation if the employer had fewer than 20 employees). If you were on an individual plan, you are entitled to keep the same plan at the same rating tier as you currently enjoy with your spouse, but the rates will reflect your own age category when you become the policyholder.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption