My father died in a car accident on Jan 5. The insurance agent from the other company is calling us telling us he has 100,000 dollars to distribute.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Gainesville, FL

Asked on 01/25/2012

My father died in a car accident on Jan 5. The insurance agent from the other company is calling us telling us he has 100,000 dollars to distribute. I am mourning the loss of my father and if this agent is toying with us it is disgusting.

Answer given on January 25, 2012

I’m sorry for the loss of your father. If he was not at fault in the accident, then the insurance company for the other party is responsible for settlement to those injured or killed in the accident as well as any property damage.The agent for the other company may be advising you of the policy limits for the other person. It is not clear if that is the total amount for bodily injury and property damage or if just for the bodily injury losses. The bodily injury limit is payable to all parties injured in the accident. Some policies have a per person limit. In that case, the per person limit is the most you can collect for one person’s injuries. You should contact the adjuster and ask what the policy limits are for the person responsible. They can tell you what the limit is and explain how it works. If there was no one else injured, then the total limit may be available to your father’s estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption