my 18yr old is buying a preowned car. If whe owns the car and is under my car ins policy who is liable for damages if in an accident

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Flushing, NY

Asked on 01/10/2013

my 18yr old is buying a preowned car. If whe owns the car and is under my car ins policy who is liable for damages if in an accident is it better for an 18 yr old to own a car and have own car ins policy if accident occurs and sued for damages

Answer given on November 18, 2013

Auto insurance should be written in the name of the registered driver. If the car is in your son’s name only, then the insurance policy should be in his name.If he has little or no driving experience the insurance rates can be quite high.You can add your name to the title and then insure it on your policy. By doing this you can get a multi car discount, loyalty discount and other discounts. However, if there is a major accident then the liability falls on your policy and exposes you to the liability loss. His driving experience will still apply, as well as his driving record, but the discounts can help offset the costs.If your son does not live at home, his insurance definitely should be in his name. You do not know if he allows someone else to use his car, which could increase your exposure to a liability loss. If he lives at home this exposure is reduced but you should be sure to explain your expectations regarding the use of his car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption