Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Alafaya, FL

Asked on 08/09/2018

My 17 year old son lives in Florida with his Florida driver license, but is still required to carry a NY based auto policy from his previous address in NY according to Allstate insurance. He currently does not live with either one of his parents. Still paying for his NY policy even though he no longer lives in NY

Answer given on August 28, 2018

If your son lives in Florida and has a Florida license, it makes no sense that your insurance company would require him to have an automobile policy in the state where he used to live.

Have him get auto insurance in the current state where he lives. If he needs to provide proof of auto insurance previously, he can provid the Allstate insurance policy. The new insurance company ca confirm there is/was insurance in force at the time he moved to Florida.  As his parents you should refer your insurance company to your son’s new insurance policy number. That should satisfy them to keep them from charging for your son’s driving record and driving experience.

If this does not work ask the new insurance company to talk to the New York policy and they should be able to work it out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.