my 16 year old son still has his restricted license and will not be getting his regular license for 4-5 months. My insurance co.(allstate) already

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Gotha, FL

Asked on 03/26/2012

my 16 year old son still has his restricted license and will not be getting his regular license for 4-5 months. My insurance co.(allstate) already Put him on our policy citing state law. Is it true we have to pay for his insurance even though he is not driving yet.

Answer given on March 27, 2012

If your son has a valid license, and not just a permit, then he should be added to your auto insurance. A restricted license usually means the driver cannot drive at certain times of day, cannot have passengers and similar restrictions. This is still a valid driver’s license.Your insurance company has the right to charge the correct premium for the exposures in the household. This includes the right to charge for a youthful operator in the household. You can help keep the costs down through discounts such as a good student discount (if he qualifies with a 3.0 average or better) and some insurance companies offer other discounts if the young driver watches a video aimed at teaching the drivers not to engage in dangerous driving. Also, you can assign your son to the least expensive car in the household. If one of the cars is older and there is not collision coverage, that would be the better car to assign your son to. Also, if there are more drivers than cars, he would be considered an occasional driver and not a principal operator.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption