Minor accident on private property

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Sundown, TX

Asked on 10/24/2013

Minor accident on private property My sons truck was hit at the school parking lot which is caught on video, the other child's parents refuse to do anything a out it. Police e say it happened on private property nothing they can do. What can we do about it?

Answer given on October 25, 2013

If you have collision coverage on your car, you can contact your insurance company and have them pay to repair your car, less the deductible on the policy. After settlement, your insurance company will attempt to contact the other party and subrogate for the damages. If they are successful, they will reimburse your deductible.If you do not have collision insurance your situation gets more complicated. You can talk to the police and advise that even though the incident was on private property, it was a hit and run incident. Tell them they should contact the other party based on that information.If they still refuse, you can talk to the school to see if they have any recourse for you. If not, you can take the other party to small claims court. The threat of this may encourage them to accept responsibility and either pay to repair your car or turn it in to their insurance company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption