married same ins but nothing else

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Allenstown, NH

Asked on 07/29/2013

married same ins but nothing else we have the same ins but nothing else we both have our own homes .my stepson is on this police do I have to worry if he at fault at an accident?

Answer given on January 06, 2014

Auto insurance policies are to be written in the name of the registered owner. If you both are on the registration, then the insurance should be in both names.If your son is a driver of the car, he should be listed as a driver and charged accordingly. The rates are affected by his driving experience and any tickets or accidents he may have.If your step son has an auto accident in the car then it is your liability that is exposed. If it is a major accident then the liability limits could be used up and you could be held liable for any additional injuries or damages. If your step son does not live with you, he should be listed on the other insurance policy if there is one. Otherwise he needs to stay on the current policy.If you are concerned with his driving you may be better off getting him an inexpensive car and have him insured on his own. Then it is his liability that is exposed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption