Life Insurance is being contested by father of deceased (who was my ex) I have copy of beneficiary form naming me, the insurance company lost it.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Fort Denaud, FL

Asked on 01/06/2012

Life Insurance is being contested by father of deceased (who was my ex) I have copy of beneficiary form naming me, the insurance company lost it. We divorced 2004 and it was in the order the beneficiary should change to our son. My ex did not change it. I called to report the death and found that the ex father contested the policy. The insurance company has lost the beneficiary change (that named me) I have the copy and faxed it to them. It was signed by a rep there and recorded but they can't find it. I want to protect this for my son, even if it means me fighting for that form I have that was signed by all parties and by the insurance company. My son was to be the beneficiary in the court order. Help

Answer given on January 10, 2012

This sounds like it could be extremely complicated.  On one hand you have beneficiary forms that were never recorded by the insurance company and on the other hand you have a life insurance benefit that is being contested.  You should consult a lawyer immediately to preserve any right you have upfront as well as to see if the attorney is able to get the insurance company to properly retro the beneficiary forms.  If you do not have a lawyer in your area to call, you can use our legal advice center to see if you can locate an attorney in your area.  Click here to have an attorney contact you.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption