Let some one barrow your car

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Portland, OR

Asked on 01/17/2013

Let some one barrow your car if I let someone borrow my car and thksey get in an accident. does that person by law have to be added to my insurance policy. In oregon

Answer given on January 23, 2013

If you lend your car to someone and they cause an auto accident, your insurance policy will pay for the damages and injuries caused by the accident. If the person who was driving your car has their own insurance and were simply borrowing your car you should not have to add them to your insurance policy.After the accident is settled your insurance company may ask about the other driver who caused the accident. You can provide your insurance company with their insurance information which should resolve any questions. If they do not have insurance, then your insurance company may ask additional questions. If the person lives in your household then you will need to add them to your policy and their driving record will affect the rates on your policy. If they do not reside in the household, then your insurance company may ask that they be excluded from your policy. You can discuss everything further with your agent or insurance company and try to resolve the situation without an exclusion, especially if this person does not regularly use your car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption