Is there a liability form that I can have someone that is going to drive my car sign?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Plant City, FL

Asked on 05/20/2012

Is there a liability form that I can have someone that is going to drive my car sign? I have a friend that needs to use my car for the next few weeks to get back and forth to work and I would like to let him. My car has full coverage and he has a license. My question is, is there some type of liability form or something that I can have him sign in case of an accident to prevent anything from coming back or me or my sister, who signed for the car( I co-signed because I didn't have the credit to get it on my own). The insurance is in my name and the car is completely legal.

Answer given on May 29, 2012

In auto insurance the insurance follows the car, no matter who is driving it. If your friend is using your car and has an accident that is his fault, your insurance will be responsible for damages and injuries to the other party. You cannot sign this liability away with a form. In addition, if the accident is a single car accident, your deductible will apply. You could ask your friend to reimburse you for the deductible, but it may not work out.On the plus side, if they have an accident, it will not affect your rates, since your friend is not a resident of the household and not a regular driver. Any charge for an accident will go on his record and affect his rates only.Since your liability will be responsible for any damages be sure your trust your friend and that he will drive responsibly while using your car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption