Is their a rider available on homeowner’s insurance that covers mechanical failures such as a 10-year old heating/air condtioning system that wears ou

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Antonino, KS

Asked on 08/07/2012

Is their a rider available on homeowner’s insurance that covers mechanical failures such as a 10-year old heating/air condtioning system that wears ou Is there a rider available on my Amica homeowner's policy that covers mechanical (such as heating/air conditioning units, washers/dryers, kitchen appliances) failures?

Answer given on August 07, 2012

The homeowner policy is intended to protect the owner from “sudden and accidental” damage to your home and or personal property. It is not intended to be a maintenance policy for your appliances, plumbing or general maintenace of the home. The policy contains specific exclusions for such damages which includes no coverage for termites, slow leaks or mechanical breakdowns. Some coverage is provided for leaking pipes or water damage by an appliance, but not for the pipe or appliance itself.When you purchase an appliance you are sometimes able to buy an extended warranty on the appliance. It can sometimes be renewed after the original extended warranty expires. If you purchase a home, even if it is an older home, you can sometimes get a home warranty policy which would cover appliances. You should check into this possibility. The best way to make sure there is no problem from your heating system or appliances is to maintain them with annual checkups by a professional.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption