Is it possible to just get “building” insurance on my home and save some money by excluding the “contents” part of the homeowners insurance?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Hassan, MN

Asked on 01/20/2012

Is it possible to just get “building” insurance on my home and save some money by excluding the “contents” part of the homeowners insurance? NULL

Answer given on January 20, 2012

It is possible to insure just the home and no contents. There are such policies available usually referred to as a dwelling fire policy. This type of policy allows you to choose dwelling coverage any amount of contents insurance and, often times, liability insurance. While this policy is available, there are many insurance companies that are not willing to write this type of insurance on an owner occupied dwelling. In addition, some companies will not add liability coverage to the dwelling fire policy. Since you own a home, liability insurance is very important. If you are considered negligent in an injury on your property, such as a slip and fall, or a dog bite, you really need to have this protection.The homeowner policy is a package policy that provides home, personal property and liability insurance in one policy for a discounted rate. It can often be less expensive than simply buying a dwelling fire policy and adding liability coverage. In addition, the dwelling fire policy often does not include the same coverages as the homeowner policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption