is it legal to plate and insure a car in mi. and drive it in fl. and store it in fl. for the summer

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Lincoln Park, MI

Asked on 01/25/2015

is it legal to plate and insure a car in mi. and drive it in fl. and store it in fl. for the summer i owen two cars in mi. spend my winters in fl. with wife and wish to leave the one car there and the wife can use it what do i have to do to be lagal

Answer given on January 27, 2015

If you live in Mi you should insure the car in that state. The car is covered if you drive it in any other state, even if insured in Mi even if the other state has no fault insurance, your insurance will protect you in the event of an accident. If you decide to store the car in another state on a permanent basis, you should insure it in that state, unless it is not a permanent situation.If you own a home in both states and one car will be spending most of its time in the other state, you should consider insuring it there full time. You may want to ask your insurance company about it, but there is no requirement that you do so. You might also determine the least expensive way to register and insure the car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption