Insurance only refunded me $700.00

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Denver, CO

Asked on 07/22/2014

Insurance only refunded me $700.00 A pipe broke underneath my living room the whole bill came for 7,000 dollars, adjustor came, took photos of the damage,

Answer given on July 24, 2014

Water damage to your home is a complicated issue. If a pipe broke under or in your house, the damage to the home is covered. The pipe itself is not covered. That is considered a maintenance issue. The insurance will also cover the cost to get to the pipe, such as removing the floor, but again the pipe is not covered. If there was no structure damage to get to the pipe, then simply getting down to it would not be covered by the insurance policyIf there was damage under the house, but not to the structure itself then that would not be covered. After all of the repairs are done then the insurance company will determine what is covered. Then the deductible for the policy is applied and the remainder is all that you will receive.If you feel that a part of the damage was overlooked, talk to the adjuster. If that does not work, ask for a supervisor to have them review the policy and damages and see if there is an additional amount that you can collect.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption