Insurance Lapse, Rear-end, Hit & Run

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Carmel, IN

Asked on 08/13/2014

Insurance Lapse, Rear-end, Hit & Run I was behind a car two to three car lengths behind at 45 mph, the light was approximately 1/8 of a mile in front of the car in front of me and was green, when the car suddenly slammed on its breaks and I had no time to stop soon enough, and ended up rear-ending the vehicle. The front end of my vehicle was destroyed, the other car's rear bumper didn't even look damaged. However, the driver continued down the road and didn't return. I however, unbeknownst to me, was lapsed with my insurance. So, what are the insurance's responsibilities to me, when the cop ruled that I wasn't at fault?

Answer given on August 14, 2014

If you have an accident without insurance you can be cited by the police for driving without insurance. It is irrelevant if you were at fault or not in the accident.The insurance companies usually have a grace period to pay a past due premium on your insurance. If you were past the grace period, then you will have no coverage for the damage to your car – you will have to pay for the repairs yourself. Your insurance company may be willing to reinstate the insurance or you may have to apply for a new policy. If the accident shows on your driving record, due to a police report, you may be charged unless you have proof it was not your fault. If the insurance company does not pay for the damages, they may also let the accident not be considered chargeable. Check with your agent or insurance company to see how they will handle this incident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption