Insurance Company not willing to reinstate my current policy (coverage/premium) after more than 30 days of cancellation – Root cause wasn’t my fault.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Richardson, TX

Asked on 04/11/2012

Insurance Company not willing to reinstate my current policy (coverage/premium) after more than 30 days of cancellation – Root cause wasn’t my fault. A Change of Address was filed by a relative of mine in error, causing my mail to go elsewhere. During that time, my insurance company sent me 3-4 invoices/bills to pay my quarterly payment otherwise policy will be cancelled. Since I was unware of the bills that I never got, I discover I have NO coverage due to non-payment/cancellation of my policy when I call in to open a claim. Now insurance company refuses to take any action even given my 5+ years of consistent payment with them. They do NOT have ANYTHING in writing regarding this 30 day policy of theirs, can I take legal action?

Answer given on April 11, 2012

Your auto insurance policy should have an area which outlines how insurance policies are handled for non-payment of the insurance. Insurance companies send a notice of a past due premium giving you a certain number of days to pay. They then sena notice of cancellation. That usually adds up to 15-20 days. If the premium is not paid, the policy is cancelled for non payment of the premium. If the insurance company received a notice of change of mailing addres, the notices will be sent to the address provided. they are not required to confirm the address provided.some insurance companies allow a reinstatement, with lapse, upon payment of the premium. You are expected to know the due dates of your policy premium and a change made in error is not the responsibility of the insurance company. It is unlikely you will have coverage for the loss incurred while the policy was cancelled for non-payment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption