In Texas is there a law where as long as you give the permission to drive you car you car will still be covered if it was in an accident

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from San Antonio, TX

Asked on 03/09/2012

In Texas is there a law where as long as you give the permission to drive you car you car will still be covered if it was in an accident i was felling sick so i gave my wife permission to drive me home but she is not on the insurance policy and a car hit us and took off will the car still be covered for repairs

Answer given on March 11, 2012

Each state, and each insurance company has its own rules regarding drivers of vehicles on the policies. Most insurance companies will cover an accident if the car is being driven by someone not listed on the policy, as long as they have a valid license.There are some policies which are named driver policies and they will only cover for damages when a listed driver is involved in the accident. You should contact your insurance agent to be sure your policy is not this restrictive type policy. If it is not, you should report the accident to the insurance company. They will work with you on the repiars, less your deductible. You should also file a police report, since this was a hit and run accident. Any information you can give on the other car may help them find the party who was responsible for the accident. If the driver cannot be located, you will have to pay the deductible. If they find the driver, and are able to collect from him or his insurance company, they will reimburse you the deductible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption