In Ohio is it possible for a person to only have coverage on a vehicle they hit on public property?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Beaver Creek, OH

Asked on 08/20/2010

In Ohio is it possible for a person to only have coverage on a vehicle they hit on public property? I was recently in a hit/skip accident while I was at the gas station. I got the license plate number of the person who hit me. He has a SR 22 Bond and his insurance company said they won't cover my damages because the accident happened on private property (gas station). Can they do that? What are my options?

Answer given on August 20, 2010

Auto insurance policies provide bodily injury and property damage coverage for a car being driven.  It does not matter if the car was on a public road or private property.  It appears the other insurance company is attempting to avoid making payment for this accident.

You did not say if the police were notified of the incident.  If so, you should obtain a copy of the report and contact the other party’s insurance agent or company.  If they still deny coverage you should ask to speak with a supervisor.

If you continue to get no response, you should contact your insurance company to see if they will pay for the damages to your car.  If they do (presuming you have collision insurance) then they will go after the other party and their insurance company.  If they successfully obtain payment then they will reimburse you for any deductible you may have paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption