If you let your unlicenced teen drive your car while you are presently in the car teaching them to drive and there is a accident will your insurance

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Apr 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Dallas, GA

Asked on 04/29/2013

If you let your unlicenced teen drive your car while you are presently in the car teaching them to drive and there is a accident will your insurance NULL

Answer given on August 04, 2013

While you should not allow an unlicensed person to drive your car, if you have done so and they cause an accident, then your insurance company will pay for the damages to the other car in the accident. If you have collision coverage, it will pay for your damages, less your deductible.Since the teen driver is a member of your household, the insurance company may increase your rates. However, they may wait until the teen driver gets their permit or license since they are currently not listed on the policy. If you don’t have the teen obtain a license or permit, the insurance company may exclude the driver until they are properly licensed or permitted. It is possible the insurance company will non-renew your insurance, but if you have been a customer for a longer period of time, they will most likely just increase the rates and keep your insurance in force. Talk to your agent or insurance company about their plans in handling the situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption