If you get a DWI and want to get car insurance issued in your name, does your name have to be on the title of the vehicle as owner?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Las Vegas, NM

Asked on 03/20/2012

If you get a DWI and want to get car insurance issued in your name, does your name have to be on the title of the vehicle as owner? My grandson got a DUI. I have him listed on my insurance as a driver. The vehicle title is in his mom's name.

Answer given on March 22, 2012

Insurance for a car should be written in the name of the registered owner. Anyone can be added as a driver of that vehicle, but the driving record for the primary driver will have an effect on the cost of the insurance policy.In your case, you should have the insurance in the name of your grandson’s mother. You can pay for the insurance if you wish. You will also need to list the grandson as a driver and the rates will be affected by his DWI. Contact the insurance company to be sure they are willing to write the insurance with your grandson as a driver. Many insurance companies will not write insurance on anyone who has a DWI. You may have to find a specialty insurance company to write this insurance, but your insurance agent or company should be able to help you find insurance for the car and driver.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption