if someone got in an accident in my car and it was not there fault , they also went to the hospital.. does the insurance company give them the money ?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Franklinton, NC

Asked on 02/07/2012

if someone got in an accident in my car and it was not there fault , they also went to the hospital.. does the insurance company give them the money ? i am worried that if they get the check in there name they may not give me the money

Answer given on February 08, 2012

If your car was involved in an accident, even if driven by another person, the insurance check for damages to your car should be paid to you by the insurance company. I am presuming you are working with the insurance company for the other party who caused the accident. Just be clear that you are the owner of the car so they will make payment correctly. The insurance company may choose to make the check payable to the repair facility you choose to repair your car, rather than make payment to you. Make sure you understand how that settlement will be made.For the injuries to the driver of your car, the insurance company will most likely make payment directly to the hospital and/or doctors who cared for the injured person. If the injured person makes a claim for pain and suffering and is awarded an additional amount of money, then that check will be payable to that person and not you, since the injuries were not yours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption