If my uncle puts insurance on my car and if i where to be in a weck am i the one responsible for the wreck or is he?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Eolia, KY

Asked on 01/25/2012

If my uncle puts insurance on my car and if i where to be in a weck am i the one responsible for the wreck or is he? NULL

Answer given on January 27, 2012

In an auto accident, the insurance follows the car. If you were driving the car, then the insurance on that car is responsible for damages and injuries. This is presuming that your uncle is on the title of the car, if he put it in his name. If the policy is in your name, and you own the car, then your insurance will cover you. It does not matter who pays for the insurance.As far as responsibility for the accident, the driver involved in the accident would be held responsible and any affect on rates would go against the driver, not the owner of the car. If you are listed as a driver of the car, then the rates for the insurance will most likely be affected.You should check with your insurance agent to see how the policy was written and in whose name. Hopefully the insurance was done correctly so there is no question of insurance coverage for this accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption