If my truck was damaged by an unknown vehicle in a parking lot do I pay all deducible or covered by no fault

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 1, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Conyers, GA

Asked on 05/01/2017

If my truck was damaged by an unknown vehicle in a parking lot do I pay all deducible or covered by no fault I was scraped on one side in some paring lot

Answer given on May 01, 2017

If your vehicle was struck by an unknown party while in a parking lot unfortunately, even if you have no fault or uninsured driver coverage on your vehicle, you still need to pay the deductible on your policy for collision coverage.  Uninsured driver coverage only applies to drivers who are indentifiable.  A hit and run does not qualify for this insurance coverage. No fault usually needs to have the other party as indentifiable and in any case the deductible will apply to the damages to your vehicle.  Depending upon the insurance company involved, your rates should not be affected if you file a claim.  However, some insurance companies do increase your rates even if the claim was not at fault.You should check with your agent or insurance company to confirm if there will be a surcharge for filing the claim.  You may also need to file a police report if your insurance company wants you to do that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption