If my car is totaled in a second accident, which is not covered, after receiving $10,650 damage from a covered accident, shouldn’t I still receive $$.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Granada Hills, CA

Asked on 06/04/2012

If my car is totaled in a second accident, which is not covered, after receiving $10,650 damage from a covered accident, shouldn’t I still receive $$. My Jaguar XK8 was rear ended while parked legally and was not only damaged from the rear, but the impact forced my car into the truck in front suffering major front end damage as well. The total estimate was $10,650. Before getting it fixed, a friend staying with me (not a renter) took my car and totaled it, but the accident isn't covered because my insurance said he should have been listed as a member of my household. Am I still entitled to the money from the first accident, even if it is not enough to repair the whole vehicle?

Answer given on June 07, 2012

If your car had been involved in an accident and the repairs were not made before the second accident, the insurance company will most likely have to determine the amount of damage from the second accident. They will not allow for previous damage to the car so must determine how much damage was done from the first accident.If, as you say, it was a total loss from the first accident, it is unlikely that your insurance company will pay for any damages due to the second accident. It is also unlikely that the other insurance company will make any payment for the damages to your car from the accident.The damage from the first accident should be reconsidered since the driver of the car was a temporary resident. You may have to prove the time the friend had been staying with you, but normally, even a resident of the household should be covered unless the policy includes a restriction in the policy that does not cover unlisted drivers in the household. Have your company or agent review the policy and maybe you can get a payment from the first accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption