if an unlicensed driver gets pulled over or has an accident in my registed and insured car what could i personally be liablr for

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Peculiar, MO

Asked on 01/19/2012

if an unlicensed driver gets pulled over or has an accident in my registed and insured car what could i personally be liablr for NULL

Answer given on January 19, 2012

In most states, the insurance follows the car. This means that if your car was involved in an accident, your insurance is resposible for the damages to another party’s car and their injuries if any.Hopefully, you did not knowlingly allow your car to be used by an unlicensed driver. Each insurance company has their own rules, regulations about allowing an unlicensed driver to use the car. If your insurance company denies coverage if you knowingly allowed the unlicensed driver to use your car, then you could be held legally liable for any damages or injuries. If that is the case you could have a judgement made against you for such damages or injuries. Your insurance company may not be responsible to defend your or to offer any legal assistance if the accident is not covered by your policy, since the driver was not a licensed driver.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption