If a neighbors tree falls in my yard and dents my car who is libel

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Algonac, MI

Asked on 07/17/2017

If a neighbors tree falls in my yard and dents my car who is libel If a neighbors tree falls in my yard and dents my car who is libel?

Answer given on July 18, 2017

Generally, if a tree falls and damages other people’s property the insurance for the owner of the damaged property will pay for the damage.  It is possible that the owner of the tree would be responsible if it is shown that the tree was sick or damaged and that the owner of the tree was advised of this.  Then it would be considered a liability claim against the owner of the tree.

If you had contacted the neighbor about the tree and expressed concern as it looked sick, was leaning or some other issue, then you can ask the neighbor to file a claim their insurance. If they refuse, you should file a claim under your auto insurance, presuming you have comprehensive coverage, and they wil pay, less your deductible. They then may go after the neighbor’s insurance and if they recover the full amount you will get your deductible reimbursed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption