I was uninsured at the time of a accident and received a letter to reimburse their money. Am i liable to write them a check?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Arleta, CA

Asked on 08/01/2013

I was uninsured at the time of a accident and received a letter to reimburse their money. Am i liable to write them a check? NULL

Answer given on August 07, 2013

If you were in an accident, and caused the accident, you are responsible to repair the other person’s car and pay for their injuries. This is the case whether or not you had insurance.It sounds like the other party’s insurance company has paid for their repairs and they are now coming back to you to reimburse them for the money they paid out. If you refuse to pay they can take legal action against you. They can also contact the DMV and get your license suspended. If you cannot pay the full amount at one time, you can set up a payment plan with the insurance company. They will work with you to take care of this settlement. Call them to work out a payment plan with them.You should also go forward and get insurance on your car now. The accident will affect your rates, but if you don’t get insurance, you could lose your license whether the insurance company contacts DMV or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption