I was rearended in a car crash , my car was totalled. what do you ask for settlement after car is taken care of?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Boone, IN

Asked on 12/14/2011

I was rearended in a car crash , my car was totalled. what do you ask for settlement after car is taken care of? I was in the ER and had about 8 other doctors visitis. I feel that the amount that they want to give back to me is low. How is that figured out.

Answer given on December 14, 2011

If you are in an auto accident, and rearended by the other driver, the responsibility to repair or replace your car is put upon the insurance company for the other party. If you were injured in the accident, the other party’s insurance company must reimburse you for your medical expenses. Usually, no settlement is offered until all medical bills are in, so if you are continuing to seek medical treatment, the settlement won’t be made until your treatment is completed. Once that settlement is made, the insurance company may offer an amount to reimburse you for your time, suffering and pain. The initial offer may seem low, but you have the right to reject that offer and submit a request of your own. There could be negotiations between you and the adjuster until an amount is reached that satisfies you and the insurance company. If you feel the offer is still low, you should ask to speak with a supervisor, who may be willing to increase the offer. If you are still not satisfied you do have the option of seeking legal help, but the costs of the attorney may offset any increased amount you receive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption