I was rear ended and the driver who hit me doesn’t have insurance and I don’t have uninsured motorist coverage, will my accident be covered?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Lancaster, PA

Asked on 04/23/2014

I was rear ended and the driver who hit me doesn’t have insurance and I don’t have uninsured motorist coverage, will my accident be covered? NULL

Answer given on April 27, 2014

If your auto insurance policy does not have uninsured motorist property damage, then you would have to turn to your collision coverage under your policy, presuming you have that.If you do, file a claim with your insurance company and give them the details. They will pay for your repairs less your deductible. They will then contact the other driver and try to collect from him personally for the damages. They may not be successful, but if they are you will get your deductible back.If you do not have collision insurance, you will need to try to collect from the other driver. You may be able to set up a payment plan with him to pay for your repairs. You can also file a property damage suit against him in small claims court. You will probably get a judgment against him, but if he has no money, it won’t mean much.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption