I was involved in a car accident my car is a total loss i have no gap coverage and i was wondering what i can do?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Houston, TX

Asked on 01/07/2016

I was involved in a car accident my car is a total loss i have no gap coverage and i was wondering what i can do? I have a renaming sum of 4000.00 i feel like the 3rd party who did the evaluation process gave me a low estimate. Car is a 2015 spark 1Lt 4 door had only 9633 miles condition like new on everything, on engine and transmission they wrote well maintained. Please help. Thanks in advance

Answer given on January 11, 2016

If your car was damaged in an accident and determined to be a total loss, the insurance company will only pay the actual cash value of the car. This is determined through various sources such as blue books and local sales ads for the same type of car. If you can prove the offer from the insurance company is low, then you can argue the offer and get an increase. However, cars depreciate quickly and you may not be able to increase the offer of payoff. Check the internet for local sales of a similar car. It is unlikely you will get the other insurance company to increase the offer by the $4,000 amount, but you may get it closer to the amount you owe on the car.You can also contact your insurance company to see what they might offer as settlement for your car. If it is higher you can go through them and they will subrogate with the other insurance company. However, you will have to pay your deductible if you do this. It will be reimbursed if your insurance company gets the other company to reimburse them in full.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption