i was injured in auto accident as a passenger in friends car,no fault state, i did not have auto insurance on my car at this time,what happens to me?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Topeka, KS

Asked on 06/02/2010

i was injured in auto accident as a passenger in friends car,no fault state, i did not have auto insurance on my car at this time,what happens to me? i am injured from this accident, most likely have a permanent disability from this wreck, will i be able to collect settlement from drivers insurance company, what happens to me now?

Answer given on July 23, 2010

First, since KS is a no-fault state, your own PIP coverage is the first in line to pay your medical bills.  If you did not have any coverage for yourself, next would be insurance carried by any member of your household.  If no one in your household has insurance, then the driver’s policy will cover your medical bills under PIP.


In KS, you are able to collect for pain and suffering if your medical bills are over $2000, or if your injuries include permanent disfigurement or loss of bodily function, fracture to a weight bearing bone, compound or compressed fracture, loss of a body part or death.  If you meet these criteria, I would advise you to consult a lawyer to review your options for recovering damages.  It’s usually a good idea to meet with a few different attorneys, and go with the one you feel most comfortable with.  The initial consultation should be free, and the lawyer’s fees should be a percentage of your settlement – you should not have to pay anything up front.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption